Sunday, February 18, 2018

Asian Festival 2018 Wrap Up


On Saturday February 17th, the Asian Festival at the Institute of Texan Cultures returned to celebrate the Chinese New Year.  This year is the year of the dog, and attendance was up from last year.  Way up!  Last year it was very cold, so there were alot of attendees who arrived late.  This year, the weather was pleasant.  The mood was very festive, and the sea of people were all smiles.  I myself, I was ready to eat.  This festival has some of the best food from several cultures, and I tried a little bit of everything. Tickets are only $10 online, and $12 at the gate.  $5 for kids.  5 and under get in for free.  I look forward to Asian Festival every year, and this year had the makings to be the best year yet.  And it was.

My friends and I arrived to a parade going around the festival grounds with dancing Chinese lions, dancers, Pikachu was there, and proud representatives from each Asian country represented at the festival.  It was very cool.  Such a great start.  I was ready to introduce new foods to my friends who I refer to as the Super Dudes.  There was alot to pick from, yet the Super Dudes were very nervous.  Their eating habits are pretty traditional compared to mine, so we had to start small.  What could I have them start out with that I know they would like.  When in doubt, you turn to the Philippines. The plan was to have them try lumpia and pancit.  I have said before that lumpia is one of the best finger foods on the planet, and I could eat pancit everyday.  I convinced my pals to order the lumpia and pancit.  They fell in love with Filipino cuisine.  The pancit was so delicious.  Perfect amount of vegetables.  Amazing flavor.  The lumpia was perfectly fried, and brought a smile to my face.  
Pancit

Second course for my friends brought us to a Pakistani food booth where another of my favorite entrees was being served.  My best friend Paul, aka Spicy Jones, wanted something with some heat and alot of flavor. I presented him with chicken tandori, a mouth watering tender chicken quarter with warm spices.  It is packed with alot of juicy goodness.  Paul loved it, and was surprised he was willing to try it.  I was very happy this year that the Middle Eastern food booths had long lines this year.  I love Middle Eastern cuisine, and I feel everyone should give it a try.  My friend JC tried Pakistani seasoned fried chicken, and he really liked it.  The spice of the chicken did get to him, but he enjoyed it.  The vibe around the Middle Eastern food booths was very positive, and that warms my heart.
Tandori Chicken

The Hawaiian contingent at the festival are very nice.  Their food is as sweet as they are.  This year, they did not have the Spam sushi I like so much.  But, no one can say no to the awesomeness of the Hawaiian food booth's Huli Huli Chicken.  This dish is Hawaiian chicken teriyaki with steamed rice.  Ans what did my pal JC think of this Hawaiian treat?
Yes.....It was that good.  

The Hawaiian food booth had something for everyone.  The Huli Huli Chicken was its shining star at the festival this year.  Their shaved ice was a very refreshing treat as well.  And as always, they were so friendly.  
Huli Huli Chicken
Mea'ai Maika'i
Shaved Ice served in a blossom bowl

I did notice one Asian favorite that was missing in action at the Asian Festival this year.  I couldn't believe no one had any of it.  There was no Boba Tea to be found.  This shocked me.  A drink enjoyed and beloved by many not at Asian Festival was mind boggling.  This item would be an easy sale.  I also noticed there was a pho booth that had no pho.  I wanted pho.  Others wanted pho.  But no pho.  I was bummed out.  Until, the Korean BBQ  food truck came to the rescue.  Chong's Korean Restaurant was busy all 7 hours of the Asian Festival.  The Korean fair served up by their food truck was gold, especially the bulgoki.  Bulgoki is chicken, pork, or beef marinated in Korean spices overnight and grilled to perfection.  It is sure to have your taste buds dancing while you hear girls cheering on the K Pop dancers on the main stage of the Asian Festival.  

In closing, this year's Asian Festival was the best yet.  I love that people come in with open minds, and are willing to try something new.  You can buy beautiful jewelry, get a Japanese matsuri headband, get fitted for a turban, or try some of the best foods Asia has to offer.  The fact that so many cultures get together every year to showcase there art and food in a positive light is inspiring.  Everyone gets along at the festival. Why can't the world be like this?  Food brings everyone together.  I can't wait to go to the festival next year to celebrate the Year of the Rat.  For over 30 years, the Asian Festival has become a must go for foodies and fans of culture, and I urge you to give it a try.  I guarantee you will love it





No comments:

Post a Comment