Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Pepe's Barbacoa #4 Has San Anto's Best Barbacoa

 




For as long as I have been alive, barbacoa and Big Red have been a Sunday tradition in the Alamo City.  I would go with my Dad to different molinos around town.  His usual order was a pound and a half of the regular barbacoa, some chicharrónes, and a dozen flour tortillas.  My Mom made her own salsa, so Sunday was always worth looking forward to.  Now I'm a couple months away from turning 50 years old, and some of the molinos I used to get barbacoa from are gone.  Where should I get my Sunday Tex-Mex fix?  February first of 2024, Facebook showed my cousin Mark and I a sign.  Mark stumbled across a page for a molino on Bandera Rd outside Loop 410.  This place claimed to have THE WORLD'S BEST BARBACOA.  So we decided to give it a try.



From the outside, it did not look like much.  Looked rather small, but the aroma filtering out of the place was amazing.  Luckily I brought cash, since this place only took cash.  We ordered 2 pounds of all meat, a dozen tamales, a bag of chicharrónes', large salsa, and a 2 liter bottle of Big Red.  Came out to about $50.  We brought it home, and I could say was
PEPE'S BARBACOA #4 HAS THE WORLD'S BEST BARBACOA!!!!

Pepe's Barbacoa has a loyal customer base, and I completely get it now.  First off, it is family owned.  They are the ones scooping the barbacoa, making tamales, and ringing you up at the register.  Secondly, the food is amazing.  The barbacoa is an A+.  The best I have had in quite some time.  The tamales are delicious.  Excellent mix of masa and filling. And the salsa.....Chef's kiss.  It is perfect. And finally, every first weekend of the month, they whip up a batch of smoked barbacoa that will render you speechless.  It is amazingly delicious.  You have to try it to believe it.  All these factors have made Pepe's Barbacoa #4 my new favorite molino.  And you have to try it.  You can find them on Facebook.  

PEPE'S BARBACOA #4 on Bandera Rd is simply the best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment