Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Places I Love: Minnano Japanese Grocery




   I work at a grocery store, and I am amazed at how many different items we carry.  But, my store does not have many international food items.  Especially Japanese items.  In many cases, the only Japanese item you will see at a supermarket is the frosted cookie sticks called Pocky. Luckily there is a place in San Antonio that is your one stop shop for what you seek that is Japanese.  Minnano Japanese Grocery is a delight for foodies, otakus, and others looking to try something new.  


Minnano Japanese Grocery is located at 7460 Callaghan Rd.a little past Fredericksburg Rd.  I am there twice a week to buy udon noodles, mochi, Pocky, and takoyaki.  Takoyaki is a wheat battered dumpling containing octopus meat.  Don't knock it till you try it.  The friendly staff at Minnano are the treasure of this shop.  Many times I have had questions about certain items that are new to me, and they have always had an answer.  The staff has also introduced new items that would be to my liking.  They have so much to offer.  They have everything from Japanese beauty products to clothing to a diverse selection of food items.  It is my number one stop for snacks.  If I am going on a road trip, I am stopping at Minnano first.   


Minnano is also known for having food tastings, cooking classes, and open house like events.  If you want to learn how to make sushi, you can learn there at one of their events.  They are always introducing new items on Facebook, and their profile on the social media site has many followers.  I have taken friends to the shop, and they have felt a little intimidated.  Once inside, they fell in love with Minnano.  Every week I have my grocery list just for Minnano Japanese Grocery.  They are always fully stocked with everything I need.  It's like going on a little vacation walking through the shop's doors.  And as always, at checkout I always buy my green tea mochi.  Their mochi has a doughy outer surface with and ice cream like stuffing.  Heaven on earth as my best friend called upon trying it for the first time.  So, if you really appreciate Japanese culture and are looking to further explore that interest;  Come down to Minnano Japanese Grocery for a delightful experience.  And don't forget the mochi on the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment