Friday, January 26, 2018

Legendary Menu Items: Fish and Gravy from Golden Star Cafe




In San Antonio, there are restaurants known for certain dishes on their menu.  Bud Jones is known for having the largest enchiladas in town.  Lulu's Cafe is known for their giant cinnamon rolls.  Big Lou's has the 42 inch pizza which you probably need at least 6 people for an attempt to finish. Jim's is known for their tortilla soup.  But the mention of Golden Star Cafe draws one response.  It is almost automatic.  Its an item that has become its trademark.  Nothing says Golden Star Cafe more than......Fish and Gravy.  No really.  Fish and Gravy is legendary.  



For 85 years, Golden Star Cafe has been rocking the downtown area of San Antonio with a menu full of excellent Chinese, Mexican, and seafood cuisine.  But one item on their menu has become a local legend.  Fish and Gravy may sound unusual, but is delicious beyond words.  Three hearty and breaded fish fillets covered in brown gravy with a side of fries draws alot of positive reviews from critics and patrons alike.  It is the only thing I order from The Golden Star.  I have seriously not tried anything else, and I have been going there since I was 3.  That's 40 years.  And I am not the only one.  It is the flagship of the Golden Star.  Thousands of foodies love this item.  Mention Golden Star, and Fish and Gravy always is the response that follows.  


Fish and Gravy has to be tried to be believed.   It is truly on my top three dishes I love to order.  I know people who have it in their number one spot.  Maybe one day I will try something else on the menu at Golden Star, but for now, I am sticking with Fish and Gravy.  When I think about it, I must have ordered this dish about 425 times.  Hopefully all of you out there give it a try.  It's simply awesome.


GOLDEN STAR CAFE
821 W. Commerce St.
San Antonio, TX
78207

No comments:

Post a Comment