Monday, January 22, 2018

Foodie Paradise: 2018 Asian Festival San Antonio


     Valentine's day is coming up, and as usual I will not be celebrating this day.  It is three days later that I am excited about.  Every February in San Antonio, Asian Festival takes place.  This festival is a foodies dream.  So many types of  awesome food delights are showcased at this great matsuri (Japanese for festival).  I always want to try a little of everything.  For those who have never been to this event, there are a few things you need to know. 


     The Asian Festival is held at UTSA Institute Of Texan Cultures.  This cultural preservation museum is also the home of Folklife Festival which I will get to in the coming months.  It is just a stone's throw away from the Alamodome.  Tickets can be purchased online or at the festival.  It is cheaper online.  There is alot of parking around the festival, but some of these lots only take cards. The festivities start at 10 AM, but you may want to get there a little early since it does get packed early.  I will list all the other info you need at the end of this article.  There is so much to look at once you are there.  There are a few big stages for dance groups and musicians.  Be on the lookout for the Chinese Lion Dance group.  They are awesome.


     Once you are through the gates, You are in for so much fun.  There are so many food booths there, so take the map offered at the gate.  Every year, the first booth I go to is the Thai booth.  They have boba tea.  I usually don't eat breakfast before I go, so boba tea is great to start off with.  I wait an hour, maybe check out the musical performances in the main building.  Then, I start sampling alot.  Among my favorites are spam musubi from the Hawaiian booth, anything from the Filipino booth, chicken tandori from the Pakistani booth, BBQ from the Korean booth, and Pho from the Vietnamese booth.  I wish I could get to every booth, but my stomach can't handle everything.  The booths do not take cash, so go to a ticket booth to purchase tickets for food.  All booths have tickets per item listed.  There are ticket booths all over the festival. 


    The amount of food at the festival is staggering.  It may difficult to make up your mind about what you want to try.  But that is a good problem to have.  Bring your kids, this is a very family friendly environment.  Here is some important information if you are interested in going.  Hope to see you there.

Asian Festival 2018                       Tickets: Adults $10 purchased online/ $12 at gate
February 17                                                  Kids $5 online or at gate
801 E. Cesar Chavez Blvd.             You can purchase tickets at asianfestivalsa.com
78205
10 AM-5 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment