Sunday, December 2, 2018

Miss the MALT HOUSE? Then head head over to Hometown Burger.


When I started this blog, my first entry was about my favorite restaurant that no longer is around.  The Malt House was a special place to me.  The building was recently demolished, and a piece of San Antonio tradition was gone.  The closest burger I had tried that was remotely close to The Malt House was Burger Boy.   That was until I made my way to Hometown Burger.  A place where possibly the ghost of The Malt House lives.

Hometown Burger is a local burger joint with two locations in San Antonio.  I happened to go to the location at 7907 W Loop 1604 N.  The place is very small, but has a cozy 50's retro feel.  The booths in Hometown Burger look like they belong in a Chevy Bel-Air, and oldies of yesteryear can be heard blasted through the sound system.  The menu is small as like the menu at In and Out Burger, but Hometown Burger have more size options for their menu items.  I ordered the 2/3 lb. double classic combo with onion rings.  I also noticed they have Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs here as well.  After a 10 minute wait, I got my meal.  Nostalgia hit me upside the face.

The burger was great.  It is similar to The Pig Stands King Burger Combo as far as taste.  Perfect balance of meat, veggies, and condiments.  Very mouth-watering.  The bun is lightly toasted, and is very fresh.  I fell in love with the onion rings.  Almost made exactly like the legendary onion rings of The Malt House.  In comparison, Hometown Burger's onion rings are similar in texture and taste to the Malt House onion rings.  They were delicious.  They were great enough for me to want to come back.  It's best to order the onion rings since if you order fries, you will not be getting a good amount of them.  An order of onion rings towers over an order of fries.  

The prices are fair, and the service is great.  I will definitely be coming back for more.  Will absolutely doubling my order of onion rings.  Great food with a bit of a blast from the past.  Stick around for my next post and I will let you know where I went for dessert.  


No comments:

Post a Comment