Monday, August 13, 2018

THE PHENOMENON THAT IS JOLLIBEE




Three years ago, I was invited to tag along on a weekend trip to Houston with my cousin Mark and his family.  His youngest daughter had a tennis tournament, and I really needed some time away from San Antonio.  Through the weekend, my cousin and his kids kept mentioning a place named Jollibee.  I had never heard of it, but my cousin's kids could not wait to get there.  I was up for something new.  I'm a foodie, this would be an experience.  And man........was I right.  The moment came to walk through its doors, and the menu just amazed me.  I can choose between burgers, noodles, fried chicken, spaghetti, and the bubble smoothies as well as a very delicious treat called halo-halo.  I decided to try the fried chicken. The three piece ChickenJoy to be exact.  It was amazing.  It had a thin and crispy crust that packed a ton of flavor.  Had a citrus flavor to it.  It was awesome. 


Jollibee is a Filipino based fast food restaurant that caters to people from all walks of life.  There are 1200 Jollibee restaurants in Southeast Asia, Hong Kong,Italy, Middle East, and North America.  Here in the states, Jollibee can be found in cities with large populations of Asian people such as Houston is.  All ethnicities love this place.  It has a welcoming environment, and very friendly staff.  The dining room is very nice for being a fast food joint.  You mention Jollibee to someone who has experienced it, and you will see them light up. with glee.


Jollibee is celebrating it's 40th birthday this year.  It has become a foodie's destination for many years.  It has become a house hold name.  In fact, toy company FUNKO has released a limited edition JOLIBEE Funko Pop Vinyl Figure to commemorate the occasion.  Not bad for a global food phenom that started at an ice cream parlor in Manilla.  They have established themselves as an American favorite.  An eatery of the people.  I urge all of you to find your local Jollibee and enjoy the treats it has to offer.  My personal favorite is the Amazing Aloha Burger, which has teriyaki sauce and pineapple.   The fried chicken comes with probably the best brown gravy I have ever had. As far as fast food goes, I give JOLIBEE an A+.  Foodies from all over the world sing its praises.  I am sure once you try it, you will be singing as well.  



No comments:

Post a Comment